Bette’s Chocolate Kahlua Sauce
What I love about this recipe is that it pulls together quickly from a handful of ingredients. And stored in the fridge, it keeps 10 days to two weeks. Store it in empty clean jelly jars and canning jars. For an easy and decorative topper for those pint-size canning jars, place a paper cupcake liner over the flat top and then screw on the jar band to secure it in place.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 ounces half-and-half
- ¾ to 1 cup sugar (see Note)
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped (see Note)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Kahlua
- Place the butter in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring to melt. Add the half-and half and sugar, and continue to cook over low, stirring, until the sugar dissolves, 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the chocolate until melted. Stir in the Kahlua. Let cool slightly and pour into two 8-ounce jars. Or spoon at once over ice cream.
Note: Bette’s recipe calls for 1 cup sugar, but I prefer a less sweet sauce and use ¾ cup. You can easily double this recipe. I have doubled it and used just 1 cup sugar for the doubled recipe but used 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate and 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate. You can omit the Kahlua entirely and use a teaspoon vanilla instead. Or, for a treat, use Bourbon.