Anne’s Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake
Begin with the yellow cake mix, and doctor it up with sour cream and an extra egg. Make an easy filling of brown sugar, cinnamon, and pecans, and swirl this into the cake batter. Bake in a Bundt pan or one of the decorative Bundts like the Heritage pan.
- 1 package (18.25 ounces) Cake Mix Doctor Simply Yellow mix
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup water
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Place a rack in the center of the oven, and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a Bundt pan, and set the pan aside.
- For the filling, measure out 1 tablespoon of the cake mix and place in a small bowl. Stir in the brown sugar, cinnamon, and pecans. Set the filling aside.
- Place the remaining cake mix, sour cream, oil, water, and eggs in a large mixing bowl, and blend on low speed for 30 seconds. Increase the mixer speed to medium and blend until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. Scatter the filling over the top of the batter. Pour the remaining batter over the filling. Place the pan in the oven.
- Bake until the cake springs back when lightly pressed with a finger, and it is golden brown, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove the cake from the oven, and let it cool in the pan 20 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the pan, and invert it onto a rack to cool completely, 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the glaze by whisking together the powdered sugar and milk. Drizzle the glaze over the top of the cake and let rest 15 minutes to let the glaze set. Or omit the glaze and dust the cake with powdered sugar.