Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
If you asked my children what is their favorite cookie that I make, they will answer these peanut butter bars. They are this wonderful mix of crispy peanut butter cookie and gooey chocolate fudge. It begins with a mix and a few items from your pantry, that’s it!
- 1 package (18.25 ounces) Cake Mix Doctor Simply Yellow mix
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Place a rack in the center of oven, and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Set aside an ungreased 13- by 9-inch metal pan.
- For the crust, place the cake mix, peanut butter, melted butter, and eggs in a large bowl. Blend with electric mixer on low speed 1 minute. Mixture will be thick. Reserve 1¼ cups for the topping. Turn the remaining crust mixture into the pan, pressing it with your fingertips so it reaches slightly up the sides of the pan. Set aside.
- For the filling, place the chocolate chips and condensed milk in a large glass bowl and heat in microwave on high power 1 minute. Remove the bowl, and stir until the chocolate melts. Stir in the vanilla. Pour the filling over the reserved crust, and spread so filling reaches the sides of the pan. Crumble the reserved crust mixture over the top. Place the pan in the oven.
- Bake the bars until they are golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove pan from the oven, and let cool 30 minutes before slicing.