Chocolate Cream Cheese Marbled Brownies
These brownies are decadent! And they are delicious straight from the pan, especially if brushed with Kahlua while cooling. To turn this recipe into plain brownies, omit the cream cheese layer and bake the batter for 35 to 40 minutes. Or to turn it into Brownie Cookies, omit the cream cheese layer, chill the batter 30 minutes, then scoop into 1-inch balls and bake at 350 degrees until crisp around the edges and soft in the center, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Vegetable oil spray for misting the pan
- Flour for dusting the pan
- 1 package (26.2 ounces) Cake Mix Doctor Deep, Dark Chocolate cake mix
- 12 tablespoons (1½ sticks) butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Place a rack in the center of the oven, and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mist a 9-by 13-inch baking pan with vegetable oil spray, and dust with flour. Shake out the excess flour, and set the pan aside.
- Place the cake mix in a large bowl and add the melted butter, eggs, and vanilla. Stir with a wooden spoon to combine, or blend with an electric mixer on low speed until ingredients come together well. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Turn half of the batter into the prepared pan, spreading it to reach the edges. Set the remaining brownie batter aside.
- For the cream cheese layer, place the cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl and blend on low until smooth. Add the egg and sugar, and blend on low until creamy. Alternate big spoonfuls of this cream cheese batter and the remaining brownie on top of the brownie batter already in the pan. Swirl the two batters together loosely with a knife. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the top evenly, and place the pan in the oven.
- Bake the brownies until the edges are set and the center is still a little soft to the touch, 48 to 52 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, and let the brownies rest 30 minutes. If desired, brush the brownies with 2 tablespoons Kahlua while they cool. For best slicing, freeze brownies in the pan 1 hour before slicing.