Coconut Layer Cake with Lemon Filling
Coconut and lemon are natural flavor partners in this cake. Begin with the yellow mix and add a little coconut extract for flavor. Fill baked layers with lemon curd straight from the jar, frost with whipped cream, and then pile on the shredded coconut. A refrigerator cake, this is a great do-ahead for any party. Make it a day in advance and you can check dessert off your list!
- 1 package (18.25 ounces) Cake Mix Doctor Simply Yellow mix
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup warm milk
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 jar (10 ounces) lemon curd
- ¾ cup heavy (whipping) cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 to 2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- Place a rack in the center of the oven, and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour three 8-inch cake pans and set aside.
- Place the cake mix, butter, eggs, milk, and coconut extract in a large mixing bowl, and blend on low speed with an electric mixer for 30 seconds, until combined. Increase the speed to medium and beat until smooth, 1 minute. Divide the batter between the pans, and place the pans in the oven. Bake until the top springs back when lightly pressed in the center, 18 to 23 minutes. Remove from the oven, and set aside to cool 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the pans, and invert the layers right-side up onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Set aside the lemon curd for filling the cooled cake layers. Place a large mixing bowl and mixer beaters in the refrigerator to chill 10 minutes.
- Remove the bowl and beaters from the refrigerator. Pour in the heavy cream, and beat on high power until stiff peaks nearly form, 4 to 5 minutes. Beat in the powdered sugar until stiff. Fold in the sour cream. Place in the fridge to keep chilled.
- When the layers are cool, place one layer on a cake plate, and spread with half of the lemon curd. Place a second cake layer on top. Spread with the remaining lemon curd. Place the last cake layer on top. Frost the top and sides of the cake with the whipped cream frosting. Pack coconut on the top of the cake. Pack on the sides of the cake, too, if desired. Chill until time to serve.